Proper care of teeth is essential for your health and appearance. An unhealthy tooth leads to headaches and a host of other discomforts in your body. Also, loss of teeth as a result of infections and cavities is a leading cause of alteration of the jaw structure. There exists a range of treatment for dental problems. The treatment options essentially vary based on the causes of dental problems and the affected part of the tooth. One of these options is a root canal procedure. Below is a highlight of what root canal entails and where to get the services.
Different meanings are attached to the term root canal. In simple terms, a root canal is the treatment of the tooth that involves removal of the damaged area, cleaning, disinfecting, filling, and sealing it. The damaged area is usually the pulp. The term “root canal” is derived from the act of cleaning the inside part of the tooth. The treatment aims to repair the tooth or prevent further damage. To understand how a root canal is done, it is important to know the structure of the tooth. However, we shall just have a look at how a tooth decays, thus requiring a root canal. When a tooth becomes infected, the decay process goes beyond the enamel to the dentin. After the dentin, which is the layer underneath the enamel, the decay reaches the pulp. The pulp is the nerve structure of the tooth that begins to die slowly as a result of the decay. Simultaneously, some chemicals are released causing infection at the tip of the root leading to pain and swelling. At this stage, the toothache becomes painful and noticeable. The dentist recommends whether a root canal is necessary. The procedure is less costly with some entities such as West Hollywood root canal dentists offering free consultation services.
Avoiding a Root Canal
The surest way of avoiding a root canal is by not having tooth decay. How do you achieve this? A host of items has been postulated ranging from dietary choices to regular dental checks for early detection of dental problems. Below are three primary ways to avoid tooth decay and consequently root canal.
- Proper brushing and flossing –You should brush your teeth at least twice each day. It should be done using a soft-bristled brush. Where it is not possible to brush after a meal, it is good to rinse your mouth. Flossing should also be done every day including behind the back of your teeth, a floss thread should help you clean under the bridges.
- Avoid sugary foods –Foods rich in sugars attract bacteria to the teeth. Such foods include biscuits, sweets, and pastries. Particles left in between the teeth will allow vibrant growth of the bacteria that causes tooth decay.
- Regular dental checkups –As the saying goes a stitch in time saves nine, regular visits to the dentist will help you detect any problems early enough. It is recommended that you visit the dentist at least two times in a year.
Root Canal Procedure
Before a dentist approves a root canal, an X-ray must be done to ascertain the level of infection and decay. The process may be performed by a dentist or an endodontist, with the latter being more specialized in tooth care. It explains the emergence of the contemporary term endodontic treatment. In general, the procedure involves four main steps:
- X – Ray – It helps the dentist to determine where the decay is located. The dentist/endodontist may recommend that the patient waits for some time before the actual procedure is done.
- Anesthesia –The second step involves administering anesthesia to ensure the procedure is less painful.
- Pulpectomy – This step involves removal of the decay, infected pulp and other nerve tissues.
- Filling –Once the infected parts have been removed, the space is filled up with rubbery substance called gutta-percha and sealed off with cement. The filling material and cement act as protective cover allowing for normal functioning (chewing) and preventing further damage.
After a successful root canal procedure, the dentist schedules a follow up to monitor the healing process. The post-root canal period is also an important time requiring adequate attention from your dentist. This is where the expertise of highly qualified practitioners such as West Hollywood root canal dentist is required. Engaging the right specialist is certainly a major factor in achieving a successful root canal procedure.